Thursday, June 19, 2008

Who killed Arushi?

Who killed Arushi? This question has been bothering the consciousness of the country for more than a month now. It got TRPs which can only be challenged only by some exciting episode of stupid serials or by Cricket match. But the public interest in this double murder case ensured one simple thing; you can become a celebrity after your death (even without becoming an artist).

I feel for Arushi, it is not that I’d ever knew her. Even if I’d met her when she was alive, I wouldn’t have given a shit. I just don’t just care about people from high society schools. But after her death, I do feel bad for her, bad but not sad. And I have my reasons.

For me she was not murdered, she was assassinated. Not on that fateful night whose date I don’t remember, but on the later days when her character, her nature and her life was put to investigation. She was assassinated by media, by their constant questions on her character, a fact which they just forgot to double check. She was assassinated by public, who after receiving any information made unsolicited comments about her. She was assassinated by police, which through its shoddy investigated made it sure that killer can run scot free. She was assassinated by us, every day after her murder.

We love entertainment. Let it be of any kind, even at anyone’s expense, we will enjoy it. Thrilled, laugh, cry, anguish, feared, petrified but entertained. And this time we have crossed our limits, we even let the dead entertain us. We see their re-enacted videos, what they would have done, or what they might have done; without giving a shit what actually must have happened. It is just like the age of gladiators, when people welcomed a person’s death by clapping and cheering.

Coming back to question, which by now has become a whodunit, I don’t know the answer. Even if CBI comes to any conclusion, I won’t give a shit. Why? A person is murdered in Delhi in almost everyday, and she was just one of them. But now I do feel for her, the thing they did to her after her death.

No comments: